Much like the UPSC exams that are conducted annually by the Union Public Service Commission, state governments also conduct annual exams to hire for state roles. The UKPSC, which means Uttarakhand Public Service Commission, is an exam conducted by the government of Uttarakhand to hire eligible candidates for state administrative positions.
What Is The UKPSC Exam Pattern?
Before we jump into the details of the UKPSC syllabus, we first need to understand that there are three stages to the UKPSC exam selections.
The Preliminary Exam– This exam is the first stage of filtration where the serious candidates are sorted from the ones that are not completely committed. It consists of multiple-choice questions.
The mains Exam– The students who qualify in the prelims are invited to sit for the Mains exam. This exam consists of seven tests.
The interview- In this stage the academic capability of the candidate has already been proven and the panel tests the personality, knowledge, and other aspects of their personality. This stage determines whether or not you land the coveted state government positions that you so desire.
The Preliminary exam syllabus consists of:
- General Studies- This includes current events, Indian History, the National Independence Movement, Geography, World Economy, Indian Polity and the Constitution, Public Policy, Development- Social and Economic, etc. The syllabus also requires candidates to have some knowledge of Climate Change and other relevant environmental issues.
- General Aptitude– This is more of a communication-based exam where a candidate is tested in Comprehension and Communication Skills, Logical Reasoning, Problem Solving skills, etc. All of which are necessary for a person being hired for this position. A candidate’s General Mental Aptitude is also tested at this stage.
The Mains exam syllabus consists of:
- Language- English and Hindi language skills, including essays.
- Indian History, Culture, and the National Movement- This section requires a candidate to have in-depth knowledge about India and the culture here. Thorough knowledge of the Indian National Movement is also necessary. This section requires a candidate to know everything from ancient Indian culture to Modern Indian History and everything in between.
- International Relations, Administration, and Social Justice- This section includes everything related to Public Administration, Civics, and the government.
- World Geography- This is essentially a history of the land. The entire planet and its evolution into the state that it is in today. A candidate must know detailed geographies of all continents, including how the natural resources are distributed.
- Social and Economic Development- This includes Social Issues, Environment, Disaster Management, and such issues.
- Science and Technology- This is a study of industries that includes Railways, Air transport, scientific developments, Indian achievers in the field of Science and Technology, etc. All the leaps made by humans in the current world, including the latest AI-related technologies, can be considered an area garnering huge interest these days.
- Ethics and General Interest- This paper talks about Ethics and Values, Learnings from great leaders, etc. A candidate who enjoys reading biographies would find this portion of the exam extremely simple.
It is suggested that candidates who are hoping to appear for these exams inculcate the habit of reading the newspaper and insightful magazines related to some of the topics mentioned above. BYJU’s Exam Prep provides an extensive database of information that may be useful for anyone appearing for such competitive exams.
Candidates who stay up-to-date with the latest information are likely to breeze through this exam with ease. With a little time and preparation, it is not impossible to crack the UKPSC exam.