Well being writing is a secure profession pathway that can survive and doubtlessly thrive throughout and after this pandemic.
That’s as a result of:
- The medical and healthcare industries are profitable, important and rising
- Well being writing is a distant job
- Freelance well being writing jobs principally pay nicely (so long as you aren’t discovering work via freelance marketplaces)
- The limitations to entry – the area of interest abilities and expertise – preserve competitors cheap, which means there’s sufficient work to go round for us all.
To succeed, you’ll need to innovate
Innovation will likely be a necessary part of your success. You’ll need to be proactive, not passive. Don’t simply look ahead to folks to contact you; even with a search engine optimized web site that ranks nicely, you could not get inquiries proper now.
I’ve seen loads of examples of medical writing innovation within the face of COVID-19 already, together with writers who’re:
- Efficiently pitching COVID-19 tales, together with this current one from well being Author Hub pupil Marwa Saleh about COVID-19 and medical skilled burnout.
- Proposing to jot down COVID-19 information, blogs, and columns for manufacturers and companies.
- Putting in web site popups that say they’re now accessible for COVID-19-related writing with a fast turnaround.
Assume creatively in regards to the completely different companies you, as a well-being communicator, can present – past conventional writing companies like options and blogs.
Read More: top guest blog sites
The industries that can profit from the pandemic
In response to Michael Wade, Professor of Innovation and Technique, Cisco Chair in Digital Enterprise Transformation, Worldwide Institute for Administration Improvement (IMD), key winners within the enterprise world will embrace:
- Ecommerce marketplaces
- Prescription drugs
- Logistics and supply
- Video conferencing
- Streaming companies.
“These in profitable sectors have discovered themselves serendipitously on the suitable facet of historical past,” he wrote just lately in The Dialog.
“By making use of a fundamental degree of competence, they need to thrive.”
Apparently, he lists healthcare as an inbetweener.
“Some gamers on this sector emerge with new concepts that would enhance healthcare,” he writes.
“Others will likely be pushed previous breaking level and can by no means return.”
To grasp which gamers in healthcare have the most effective likelihood of survival, take into account the alternatives created by the truth that many of the inhabitants at the moment are at dwelling for the foreseeable future – and take into consideration what meaning for healthcare communication.
Most well-being writers already write about well-being companies for suppliers’ web sites and blogs. That shouldn’t change; as well being companies will at all times want new and revamped content material for his or her websites.
With numerous suppliers now providing telehealth, although, new alternatives might come up to assist healthcare professionals who’re delivering their companies remotely.
Freelance tasks might consist of making content material selling these new companies, affected person handouts, evergreen online programs, and coaching assist supplies.
Tip: Know of any well-being professionals offering telehealth companies? Get in contact and supply to assist them with high-quality content material.
Ecommerce for well-being merchandise
Earlier than COVID-19, folks have been already shopping for well-being merchandise on-line. However, there could possibly be elevated competitors in this space as conventional retail industries endure, and extra companies go for online-only companies.
There may be extra companies selecting to create on-line shops, providing alternatives for well-being communicators to jot down for these shops and eCommerce campaigns.
Tip: Observed a rise in healthcare procuring? Discover companies who’re ramping up their on-line gross sales, and enquire about content material assist.
Well, being and medical manufacturers and corporations will likely be speaking about COVID-19 for a very long time. These companies would require ongoing content material, together with:
- Wellbeing subjects explaining the illness
- Proof-based prevention methods
- Analysis summaries
Entrepreneurs will launch new well-being merchandise, too. Considerably unsurprisingly, I’ve already had inquiries from a number of folks both engaged on or registering well-being merchandise associated with COVID-19, like hand sanitizers.
Tip: Are there any respected companies who want high-quality content material about COVID-19? Contact them and pitch your companies.
Supporting companies with progressive content material
There’s already no scarcity of recent well challenging to jot down about on this new regular. You could possibly pitch concepts to magazines and publications or consider different methods to deal with them (creating an internet course, for instance). Our populations are going through challenges corresponding to:
- Psychological well being – elevated signs of despair, anxiousness
- Elevated display screen time
- Sustaining a nutritious diet in isolation
- Exercising in a restricted setting
- Productiveness loss
- Balancing work and home-school
- Relationship breakdowns
- Coping with a number of sources of data
- Data overload and fatigue
- Elevated racism
- Poor communication and well-being literacy.
Tip: Pitch your concepts to credible blogs that settle for visitor posts and web sites that settle for pitches from freelance writers.
Different alternatives in medical writing
In her webinar, the effect of COVID-19 pandemic on the medical writing business, Emma Hitt means that future potentialities for work within the medical writing business will encompass:
- On-line studying – colleges, universities, medical colleges, Udemy
- MSL and gross sales coaching
- Regulatory writing
- Weight reduction and different well being points which will have emerged on account of being at dwelling
- Rebound work.
Tip: Now could possibly be time to upskill in a brand new area of interest like regulatory writing.
Now for the challenges
For all the brand new tasks that come up, there’ll, after all, be challenges. Many manufacturers and companies have needed to reduce bills and slash their freelance budgets.
Moreover, many individuals are working from dwelling, trying to home-school and adjusting to this new write for us on lifestyle; consequently, productiveness is low and all the pieces take longer.
The excellent news is that this lull can’t final without end. As purchasers adapt to those new circumstances, they may discover ways to work at home and run their companies successfully – and, they may quickly attain out to freelance well-being writers once more.