A longboard is a sport very like a skateboard. The only thing that differentiates it is the format of the board. This is because, in the longboard, the board is longer, as its name indicates.
This sport has other characteristics that also differentiate it from similar sports. Another difference is that people practice longboard under other modalities or techniques such as “Downhill” or “Carving.”
The main goal of this sport is to make descents on slopes at high speed while performing different maneuvers and movements.
Before, people called 4-wheel skateboards, but they were evolving by the different ways in which they glided on the street or the asphalt. Among the most common are: the longboard, the skate, and the cruiser.
There is also a wide variety of brands of longboard boards. You can choose the one that best suits your needs and your pocket. Here is some important information about this sport so you can choose your best Quest longboards.
The history of the sport takes us back to the 1950s in California. Surfers decided to create a kind of personal urban transport, very like the sport they practiced. They wanted to adapt it to the streets to use it on the slopes of California.
In this way, they managed to unite surfing and skateboarding in a new creation. They called “longboard,” its original name in English is a longboard. With the board, they could practice balance, and they could move.
It was an excellent idea to be able to continue practicing your favorite sport being away from the water, and they did not have to wait for a wave. Over the years, this invention became popular and was a success in California and Hawaii. Then it was reaching other cities in the United States and other parts of the world.
How Do You Learn Longboarding?
For many young people, longboarding is one of the most fun activities they can do outdoors on the streets. The main difference in this sport with the skateboard is that the board is longer and more stable.
There are different special modalities that you can do:
- You can take turns
- Going down hills at high speed
- Tricks and skids
You can choose the modality you want the most. You can also improvise your jumps depending on your abilities.
Is a skateboard better than a longboard? Traditional skateboards are shorter in size, so they can be more uncomfortable and not very stable. But, the longboard is more stable and more comfortable due to its design. If you want to practice this sport, you must follow these tips:
The first thing you should have to start practicing is your board and the necessary accessories.
To practice this sport, experts recommended that you have certain accessories on hand, such as:
- knee pads
- elbow pads.
- Comfortable shoes to have better mobility.
You should know that depending on the modality you want to practice, you will need other accessories.
Know the first notions of the longboard
To learn the longboard, you must know three movements that are basic for this activity such as impulse, turns, and brakes
- The impulse: People who climb aboard for the first time should keep in mind which leg should be carried in front.
The foot you have in front will be the first to climb the board and will be the last to descend. The feet must be placed close to the axes, to propel yourself you must leave the back one on the ground, there will be the weight of your body. It will change it to the front one when you raise your back leg.
- Braking: You should know that there are several types of braking, but there is a basic one that is also known as primitive braking. Here you should put your rear foot close to the ground and let it slip or slide as you slowly bring it closer to the ground. In this case, you will support the weight of your body on the front foot.
- Spins: If you want to turn on the longboard, you must change the weight of your body from the heels to the balls of the feet as you perform the turn. This type of movement requires more practice and dedication. Don’t be discouraged if it doesn’t come out the first time.
Start practicing in flat and quiet areas
If you are a beginner, it is recommended that you be very careful and practice it in a safe and flat area where you will not get hurt. It is normal that at first there are falls, with time and practices it will improve, and it will do better and better.
For this type of sports, the most important thing is perseverance. You must be accompanied by a person who knows and can notify you if someone is nearby or if there are cars.
There are several types of tables, and each one has its modality for this sport, you should find the table that is suitable for the modality you want to practice.
- Carving: It is done by turning and pumping the board; this mode is very similar to that used on the snowboard. In general, the tables for this modality have a size between 34 “and 41” and have a lot of flexibility (flex in the table).
- Downhill: This is one of the most extreme modalities of this sport; it consists of descending roads or mountains with a steep slope. It is usually lowered at high speed.
- Freeride or Sliding: this modality consists of descents at high speed, making Sliding. You must drift with your hands, if you are a beginner, you must leave this modality for later and practice with others.
- Cruising: It consists of taking walks and moving around to get to places faster. Depending on the road, you can go downhill or carve. You must have a table appropriate for your modalities.
There are other modalities such as going up and down walls, board walking or dancing where you must do tricks and jumps.
What Are The Best Longboard Brands?
The most recognized brands can offer quality and good displacement. As mentioned before, you can find them at affordable prices due to the great variety on the market.
There is a large list of longboard brands with models, colors, and designs for each personality. You can find $ 50 and $ 160 longboarding; it will depend on the features you have.
In this article, we bring you the five best brands so you can choose the one you like best.
They are made of good quality materials and offer you a board that all fans of this sport will love. They have listened to their users and have designed extraordinary models for the most demanding, they are affordable, and the images are colorful.
It has been on the market since 1933, offering the best quality boards; it is one of the leading companies worldwide. This brand combines aesthetics and functionality. They are sturdy boards, and their figures are impressive. Also, they are accessible to all their users.
It is a brand that exceeds the expectations of its customers, the Quest longboards & skateboards offer quality, comfort, and excellence.
It combines several functions, models, and designs that make it the best option for fans of this sport. They are strong and durable boards, and their price is also accessible to everyone.
It is a brand that has a Rastafari style; its designs are well elaborated; it is worth acquiring a table from this brand. It is made with bamboo and maple wood, so they are resistant.
It has been on the market manufacturing longboard boards since 1973; originally, they made skateboards. Over the years, and due to their popularity, they began to manufacture longboards. It offers quality products and has a unique design, and their prices are low.