Get Your Career On High With Student Visa Subclass 500 In Australia

Over several decades, Australia has been one of the favorite study destinations for international students. Because of their advanced academic infrastructure and better career opportunities, thousands of overseas applicants apply to world-class universities in this island country. If you are one of those willing students, you have to know about the different specifications of the Australian student visa. This blog will give you a clear idea of how Student Visa 500 can be helpful for your career.

What are the student visas available for overseas students?

Until July 1, 2016, there were multiple student visas available to international students. These visas included Subclass 570, 572, 571, 573, 574, 574, 576, and 580. Each of these visas was specifically designed for a specific course type.

  • But on July 1, 2016, Schedule 4 of the Migration Legislation Amendment commenced, which simplified the process by canceling all the previous subclasses and bringing in only two new types – Student Visa 500 and Student Guardian Visa 590. These two visas are the only available student visas that are applicable for all courses.
  • Irrespective of the course you are applying for in an Australian university, you have to apply for the Student Visa Subclass 500.
  • The other visa, i.e. the Student Guardian Visa Subclass 590, is granted to the guardian who wants to accompany a student as a supporting guardian during the course period. In this case, the age of the student should be under 18. The validity of the Student Guardian Visa 500 depends on the duration of the course.

Under exceptional circumstances, a student guardian visa is issued even to the guardian of an adult student if the student needs constant support from an adult. However, the age of the guardian should be at least 21 years.

In which sectors can you study with an Australian Student Visa 500?

As an Australian student, you must hold the valid Australian Visa Subclass 500 for the entire duration of your Australian course. Along with the visa, you should also have the Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC) scheme during your entire stay. With this visa, you can study in any one of the following Australian sectors.

  • ELICOS or English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students, which you can enrol before starting your course in Australia
  • Primary school, junior or senior secondary school or a secondary education program, which must have proper approval
  • VET (Vocational Education and Training) program
  • Higher education (Associate degree, Bachelor degree, Graduate Diploma, Advanced Diploma, Masters by Coursework, or Graduate Certificate)
  • Postgraduate Research (Doctoral degree or Masters degree by research)
  • Foundation studies and full-time courses that do result in any Australian award
  • Any full-time course if you are sponsored by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs or Defence.

This visa will allow you to stay for a maximum of 5 years in Australia. In this period, you can also bring your family members. They will enjoy the same rights as you.

What are the reasons to study in Australia with the Student Visa 500?

There are several reasons why you should consider studying in Australia with the Subclass 500 Student Visa. The reasons are as follows.

  • Australia has some top-rated academic institutions globally, where you can get a quality education and memorable campus life.
  • With this visa in your hands, more than one course can be completed.
  • You can also study some academic courses with funding provided by the Australian Government.
  • In addition, this visa will also allow you to work for a maximum of 20 hours a week, which can be very useful while applying for a job.

What are the eligibility requirements for this visa?

The eligibility requirements for the Australian Student Visa 500 are as follows.

GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) criteria

Under the new student visa framework, a student has to make sure that they want to migrate to Australia only for study and not for any other purpose or permanent residence. In the personal statement, the student has to mention information like situations in the home country, the reason behind not choosing to study a similar course at an institute in the home country, and prospects of the course.

Financial capacity

Candidates applying for the student visa should have adequate funds to cover their tuition fees and other expenses like accommodation and travel costs. At the time of application, the Department of Home Affairs will ask you to provide evidence of having sufficient financial capacity.

English language skills

Australia is an English-speaking country, where English is spoken in every official sector. You have to show valid test results of any internationally recognised English language test. The required test score may vary from one university to the other. So, it will be a better idea to check the website of the university.

Certificate of enrolment in a registered study course

While completing the application, it will be mandatory to submit a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) document issued by a registered institute in Australia. However, if you are directly sponsored by the Defence or Foreign Affairs Department, you will not be required to provide this evidence.

Welfare arrangements for the students under 18 years of age

If you have not turned 18 yet, you have to make sure that you have made the necessary welfare arrangements. In that case, you must have a legal guardian whose age should be at least 21 years.

Health and character requirements

Candidates applying for the Student Visa 500 should provide evidence of having good character and go through specific health examinations. The Australian Government is very strict about these things. You will also need to get the OSHC for the entire duration of your course.

What are the documents needed for the student visa application?

For the detailed Student Visa 500 checklist, you have to check the latest ‘Document Checklist Tool’ on the Department of Home Affairs website. Remember, this information is updated twice a year, on March 31 and September 30. Generally, you will be required to submit the following documents.

  • Your electronic CoE or Confirmation of Enrolment issued by your university
  • A valid passport
  • Payment receipt of the visa application fee
  • The GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) statement
  • Relevant academic documents (previous transcripts) and documents related to work experience
  • English test scores, which should be no more than 2 years old
  • Proof of financial capacity (it should cover costs like living expenses, tuition fees, return airfares, and expenses for dependents)
  • Health insurance policy (OSHC) details
  • Statement of purpose
  • Photographs of passport size
  • Parental consent if you are below 18.

What to do if your situation has changed?

While staying in Australia, you may face a sudden change in your situation. In that case, you must immediately inform the Department of Home Affairs. Following changes generally occur.

  • Changes in the phone number, residential address, email id, or passport
  • Changes to the welfare arrangements or relationship status
  • Birth of a child.

If you need to change your study course, you also have to ask the Department whether it can be possible.

Final words

For any purpose like first-time application or extension of the visa, you can think of hiring a professional and experienced migration agent. They can give the best inputs to get the desired outcome. For information, you can contact Immigration Agent Adelaide.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Adblock Detected! Give access to this site for continue.